Save the Date Ideas
It's A Date!
From quirky and creative to pretty and playful, set the tone for your wedding in so-you style with a standout save the date
You’ve set the date – congratulations! The time has come to let your nearest and dearest know so they can, well, save the date. This is particularly important if you’ve chosen a popular time of year to get married, such as the summer holidays or festive period.
Bear in mind that your save the date will be the very first taster of your wedding, so you may wish to consider your wedding style before choosing. Whether you’re seeking something elegant, rustic, funny or bang-on-trend, ensure you choose a design that feels fresh and uniquely you. Remember: there are no rules – so feel free to get creative and have a little fun! There are hundreds (and thousands!) of designs out there – so, to make your job a little easier, we’ve rounded up a few of our favourites.
What could be more elegant than your own bespoke emblem debossed into luxurious thick card? We love this double-sided design (1), which is the perfect balance of simplicity and style. For a rustic take on traditional, opt for high quality kraft card. We love this charming tag (2) with its woodland design and lace edging. Or go for something beautifully simple like this leaf print design (26). If you’re planning a festive themed celebration, we cannot get enough of this robin red breast number (6). We love the watercolours, clean typography and festive nod. Perhaps you’re getting hitched by the sea? If you’re keen to avoid seaside clichés, consider this chic, playful design (22). There is no doubt your do will have a nautical spin, but there’s not a seagull or ice cream in sight – win! When in doubt, go black and white. The timeless appeal of black and white photography makes it the perfect choice for couples with classic taste. This stylish portrait design (16) lets the photography do the talking. Or simply choose a black and white palette, some striking typography – and voila! (29). For a luxe, beautifully stylish aesthetic, we love this save the date (21) which blends an atmospheric textured background, thick duplexed card, soft grey hand-painted ribbon and monogrammed envelope liners.
What’s a trendy summer soirée without a few florals? This blooming beautiful design (8) keeps things feeling fresh with its vibrant watercolour illustrations, while this floral number gives a pretty nod to the ombré trend (28). Combine florals with festival vibes and a Scandinavian aesthetic with this fun and fashion-forward design (9). For a botanical take on the trend, go for some palms. We love this lush green design (15) with its matt finish. If you’re both keen cyclists, combine your love of bikes and the great outdoors with this sweet on-trend design (24). For an autumnal spin, go for a palette of berry and blush on a dark background. We love this chalkboard style card (11). Watercolour is having a bit of a moment right now, so why not embrace a whimsical design for your save the date card? Let the colour take centre stage and keep everything else pared back with this delicious pink design (7). Geometric design is always and this super-cool card (13), with its palette of blue, pink, yellow and grey, is perfect for a springtime celebration.
Got a sweet tooth? Say it with a sweet treat! We love these save the date biscuits (30) and we’re pretty sure your guests will too (just make sure they put your date in the calendar before eating it)! Alternatively, combine puns with chocolate and send your guests a very literal save the date (25).
Make sure your guests don’t forget your date by sending them some forget-me-nots (14) in a recycled seed packet. For an interactive spin on a save the date card, say it with a balloon (10), which guests will have to blow up to find out the details. This is the perfect start to a fun-filled party-centric wedding! Or perhaps give your guests no excuse to forget your date and send them a pencil (19) so they can pencil you in – very practical.
Say it in style with an intricately carved wooden heart (18). This sweet save the date is an incredibly handy reminder as it can be hung from everywhere – including the Christmas tree! If your relationship involves some interesting geography, why not make it a feature of your save the date? This chalkboard style map (23) is as fun as it is informative. Are you a couple of loved-up bookworms? We love this fun magnet (17) that presents your love story like a Penguin Classic. You can’t get much more personal than a caricature. These personality-packed designs are fab (32) – not least because you can include your pet! For a quirky winter take on a save the date, we love this stag design (20). The graphic lace backdrop and wooden laser-cut heart keep things feeling suitably sweet.
‘Let there be cake. And booze’ – we think this design (4) has got mass appeal! The bright bold colourway and sharp font keep it looking very modern, too. Check out this hand illustrated design (31); the flow chart is equal parts cute and funny. If you and your guests appreciate a good pun, consider this card (3), with an unfortunate date heading into a mouth screaming ‘noooo!’ If you don’t mind raising a few eyebrows, we love this ‘sh*t just got real’ magnet (12), which, let’s be honest, is how most of us feel!
1. Personalised Emblem Letterpress save the date: Wolf & Ink at NOTHS www.notonthehighstreet.com
2. Woodland save the date tag: Knots and Kisses www.knotsandkisses.co.uk
3. Funny save the date: SharpeCards at Etsy www.sharpecards.etsy.com
4. Let There Be Cake save the date: Gooseink www.gooseink.etsy.com
5. Love Haze Watercolour save the date: Elle Jane Designs at NOTHS www.notonthehighstreet.com
6. Christmas Heart save the date: Papier www.papier.com
7. Garden Party save the date: Anon Design www.anondesigner.co.uk
8. Watercolour Florals save the date: Anon Design www.anondesigner.co.uk
9. Wedding Bells save the date: Anon Design www.anondesigner.co.uk
10. Save the date balloon cards: White Knot at NOTHS www.notonthehighstreet.com
11.Berry Floral Chalkboard save the date: Norma & Dorothy www.normadorothy.com
12. Shit Just Got Real magnet save the date: LoveMeDoDesign at Etsy www.lovemedodesign.etsy.com
13.Geometric save the date: Papier www.papier.com
14. Save the date recycled seed packet: Wildflower Favours www.wildflower-favours.co.uk
15. Palms save the date: Papier www.papier.com
16. Wedding Portrait save the date: Papier www.papier.com
17. Penguin Classics magnet save the date: LoveMeDoDesign at Etsy www.lovemedodesign.etsy.com
18. Hanging heart save the date: Urban Twist at NOTHS www.notonthehighstreet.com
19. Pencil us in save the date: Camdeco at Etsy www.camdeco.etsy.com
20. Lace Stag save the date: Norma & Dorothy www.normadorothy.com
21. Stormy Skies save the date: Knots and Kisses www.knotsandkisses.co.uk
22.Vintage Seaside save the date: Anon Design www.anondesigner.co.uk
23. Chalkboard style map save the date: Paper and Inc at NOTHS www.notonthehighstreet.com
24. Bike Lovers save the date: Papier www.papier.com
25. Save the date chocolates: BagstockandBumble at Etsy www.bagstockandbumble.etsy.com
26. Simply Elegant save the date: Knots and Kisses www.knotsandkisses.co.uk
27. Nautical Waves save the date: Papier www.papier.com
28. Ombré save the date: Knots and Kisses www.knotsandkisses.co.uk
29. Black Suite save the date: Anon Design www.anondesigner.co.uk
30. Personalised save the date biscuit card: Biscuiteers www.biscuiteers.com
31. Quiz save the date: SmittenPaperCo at Etsy www.smittenpaperco.etsy.com
32. Caricature save the date: IllustrateTheDate at Etsy www.illustratethedate.etsy.com
words Abby Driver
Copyright Wed magazine 2016